- This event has passed.
PFN Monthly Meeting: Conserving Caribou – It’s About Time, Space, and Scale – Members Only
February 9 @ 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Jim Schaefer is Professor of Biology at Trent University, where
he teaches ecology, conservation biology, and communicating
science. He is founding Director of the Trent Centre for
Communicating Conservation, a member of the International
Boreal Conservation Science Panel, and a Fellow with the
Leopold Leadership Program, dedicated to conveying science
to the public. In his presentation, Jim will talk about caribou – one of the most mobile pedestrians on the planet, and one of the most daunting challenges in conservation. Across much of the North, caribou are declining. This animal has disappeared from one quarter of its historic range. In this talk, Jim Schaefer will explore the natural history that makes caribou so fascinating, as well as the features that make caribou so challenging to conserve. At its core, keeping caribou means dealing with vast scales, in both space and time. For conservation success, the starting point is to think big — to adopt “a caribou’s eye view.”
Our meeting will be held at the Camp Kawartha Environment Centre located at 2505 Pioneer Road in Peterborough. Numbers of in-person attendees will be capped at 40 for this meeting. Doors will open at 7 pm; meeting will start at 7:30 pm.
Please note the following:
- If we have reached our maximum capacity for the venue by the time you decide to register to attend in person, please consider joining us via Zoom (read further below for the link).
- While masks are not mandatory, please consider wearing one to help ensure the safety of all of our members.
- There will be no refreshments offered but you are welcome to bring your own beverages/snacks.
- Please use caution when parking at the Environment Centre and walking into the venue. Surfaces may remain icy/slippery despite snow ploughing/cleaning efforts.
- If you have any items that you would like to donate to our AGM auction this year, please bring them with you to the venue. We will have a station set up to receive them.
In Person cancelled due to weather but is on Zoom